Friday, September 28, 2012

Perks of Sustainable Living

Last spring, I decided to change my life and lose a ton of weight.  I went back to Weight Watchers and then back to Curves.  Curves lasted about a week because my knee was in huge pain.  Weight Watchers lasted until I stopped choir in May.  Work became crazy until June 30th and really hasn't stopped being crazy, but I'm back to my fall routine.  Last Sunday after church went to Weight Watchers expecting to find that I gained- but I lost 4 pounds over the summer- 10 pounds total since I started last Spring- not awesome but certainly not bad for not trying at all!

Hmmmm.  Maybe it was water weight.  After all, I had worked hard in the Temple Terrace Community Garden for two hours on Saturday and sweated a lot.  But today I went to Curves- and voila- last 8 pounds AND 8.5 inches from 5 measurements of my body since March.

To what do I attribute this miracle?  Part of it is the Community Garden.  In addition to my porch, I've been tending the library plot.  But I've also been faithful to the idea of sustainable living- my son Rob and I are now cooking with fresh herbs and vegetables more than ever before.  We've been experimenting with all sort of things from A Simpler Place in Time, and we've been eating out a lot less.

But even though I'm losing on my own, I'm going to keep up my self-improvement streak because I feel so great and have so much more energy now that I am back into my fitness routine.

Close with a quote that Donald Trump tweeted yesterday
If you are going through hell- keep going. Winston Churchill

If this sounds a little bit smug, google the phrase and then go to Rodney Atkins song of the same name.  I found it a little sounded a lot better there!  Have a great day- and whatever you need to improve- just keep on going- the journey is great!

No comments:

Great-Grandma Weber's Summer German Potato Salad

 This was a staple at our family's summer outings for as long as I can remember.  My youngest sister asked me for the recipe so I though...