Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Mary Rose's Almond Crescents

The one recipe that family members want from me this time of year is my almond crescent recipe.  I remember Mom always looking for the recipe that most reminded her of Great-grandma Weber's recipe and when she tasted my cookies, she said she thinks that this is it.  I created this recipe from the  Heritage Cookbook's Nut Crescents supposedly of Bohemian origin.  I simply substituted almonds for walnuts and almond extract for vanilla extract.  I also upped the almond amount a bit.

Ingredients
1 cup butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
 1 teaspoon vanilla
 2 cups flour
 1/2 cup of ground  almonds
 Powdered sugar

  Cream butter, sugar and almond extract.  Add in flour and ground almonds.  Using a heaping teaspoon of dough, shape into crescents.   Bake at 325 for 20 minutes.  Cookies should be golden brown.  When slightly cool but still warm, roll in a bowl of powdered sugar.

No comments:

Great-Grandma Weber's Summer German Potato Salad

 This was a staple at our family's summer outings for as long as I can remember.  My youngest sister asked me for the recipe so I though...