Wednesday, February 7, 2018

My journey so far

Miles for Moffit May 2015
Weeki Wachee Mermaid Race September 2017
In December 2014, a friend told me that if I needed a walker, then I should not be ashamed to go out and get one.  I was getting there- 110 pounds overweight,  tricompartmental arthritis in both knees, bursitis in both hips and back pain so bad, I couldn’t stand for more than 15 minutes at a time.

I decided that before I went the walker route, I would use my Curves membership and work out religiously three times a week and see what happens.  Within two weeks, I could go down the stairs normally.  Optimistically, I decided to try walking and build up to doing a marathon in two years.  That didn’t happen- but I do have a new life walking as a way of life and encouraging others to do the same.

The first photo was my first race- just after meeting Lynn Gray and the Take the First Step Club.  I was encouraged to take her 8 week training class for the Miles for Moffit Race and the clubparticipation was incredible.  After the race, I joined the club and have walked 3 or more miles almost every week since then.

Walking alone is just not doing the trick.  My first Gasparilla was the 15K and it was real tough climb.  I finished dead last but I finished.  Last year I did the 8K and it was a major victory- maintained an almost constant 22 minute mile- and did not come in last- and saw the end of the pack ahead of me.  But this year, I'm doing the 5K because my knee acts up before I hit 3 miles in my Saturday walks.

This has started a new start to my health routines.  Just joined Shapes and have water aerobics and yoga to my fitness routines.  So am going to try and post here every day again.  See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Great-Grandma Weber's Summer German Potato Salad

 This was a staple at our family's summer outings for as long as I can remember.  My youngest sister asked me for the recipe so I though...