Thursday, July 25, 2013

Saving the freshness


Last Saturday, I brought enough rosemary, purple basil, and garlic chives from TTCG to fill 3 pint jars with leaves.  My plan was to make jelly bases for each of them.  Added the purple basil to 2 cups of boiling cranberry juice cocktail, crushed and added the leaves and let it steep for 15 minutes.  then bottled and froze it to make jelly another day.  It was good enough to drink- cranberry predominated but the basil added color and richness to the brew.

The next day, I took a cup of apricot nectar mixed with a cup of water, boiled it then brewed it for 15 minutes with the crushed rosemary leaves.  The rosemary predominated and I'm not sure that this experiment was a success but I also froze it and bottled it for another day.

Found this recipe for garlic jelly online.  Used 2 cups white vinegar instead of white wine vinegar with a half cup of crushed garlic- the smell in the kitchen was overwhelming- we were really coughing, and I steep but did not boil for 15 minutes and strained the liquid immediately instead of 24 hours later.  The resulting vinegar lends a wonderful garlic flavor to dishes.  I may just add the garlic chives to that and refrigerate.  Tomorrow, its time for thyme!  I have some from A Simpler Place in Time that I need to use. Wonder what thyme and pineapple juice would do?

No comments:

Great-Grandma Weber's Summer German Potato Salad

 This was a staple at our family's summer outings for as long as I can remember.  My youngest sister asked me for the recipe so I though...