Monday, May 7, 2012

Mason Jar Organization

Long ago, I heard from Martha Stewart that the key to organizing your pantry was to collect tons of bottles and use those to store all your baking things, grains, and beans.  The problem is that you either end up with an endless collection of bottles (that fit nothing) or you come home from yard sales and flea markets with a ton of other stuff.   The other day, I took a look at a cabinet piled high with boxes and bags in zip-lock bags piled halfway up the cabinet, no room to put anything in- and had no idea what we had and did not have.

Praying on how to get my home under control a little bit, I had the inspiration to go to Ace Hardware and found these wonderful half-gallon mason jars.  I immediately knew that these would be great, so I grabbed a box and headed home.  The thing about new stuff is that you can't wait to try it out- so I went home and found the biggest bags, then filled those mason jars.  I had a Dyno labeler (which is such a good thing that once you get it, you wonder how you lived without it) and started labeling the jars with the pretty side out.  One of these days, I will get glass paint and decorate the front, but for today, the ordinary embossed design is pretty enough. Within a few minutes, my 6 jars were full.  The next day, I bought quart jars, the next day pints, the next day half gallons.  I recommend this practice.  I don't know about you, but if I buy too much, then it never gets put away.  And today?  Here is my cabinet!  I never thought that I would ever take pictures of my cabinets to put on the internet- but here I am today!  I'll let you know if this doesn't work but I probably won't take a picture of it!

Things I like about this are: the staggered sizes and the labels on the lids lets you see what is in each bottle,  the containers are air tight, and the glass lets you see inside without opening the jar- and- it's pretty!!  Hooray!!  I was so happy that I went ahead and reorganized the rest of the cabinets.  But they aren't pretty enough for the internet- today at least!

Have a great day!

No comments:

Great-Grandma Weber's Summer German Potato Salad

 This was a staple at our family's summer outings for as long as I can remember.  My youngest sister asked me for the recipe so I though...