Saturday, May 19, 2012

What is wrong with kitchen cabinets?


This is my new design for my kitchen cabinets and I must say I am immensely pleased.  Then I got to take a look .this one.  And suddenly I discovered why all kitchen cabinets are inherently flawed!  The shelves are too deep!  The reason why the above design is so great is because I was able to stagger the height of all the jars so that you can read the labels and see some of the ingredients. 

But my tea cabinet was a mess because all the containers had to be about the same size- and what do you do with the cans and boxes?

What we really need- all of us- is one large wall devoted to storage and shelves no wider than four inches.  How wide are cans?  How wide are bottles?  How wide are those cereal boxes?  Maybe even a graduated system with six inch shelves on the bottom and one inch shelves at the top for all your spice bottles.  Wouldn't it be great to place your boxes so that the front of the package was showing?  You know, the side that is decorative and informative?  And then instead of compressing them into 3 feet of space with a lot of it over your head (which I guess would be good if you need to keep children out of it)- you could have a whole wall- with no doors!

I have a wall near the kitchen and I did have shelves against that wall- but they were ugly and collected junk because they were so deep.  They also made it difficult to get things in and out of the door because one foot stolen from a hallway is a lot of space.  But four inches is the width of the door jam- so if you can get something through the door- you should be able to get it out of the hallway.  So now is brainstorming time.
If anyone knows how to build or buy a wall of shelves four inches wide, 10 feet tall, and 8 to 10 feet long, let me know!


No comments:

Great-Grandma Weber's Summer German Potato Salad

 This was a staple at our family's summer outings for as long as I can remember.  My youngest sister asked me for the recipe so I though...