Thursday, May 16, 2013

Getting Into a Walking Routine

This morning, I walked 1.3 miles in 32 minutes which is 24.6 minutes per mile.  The week of April 20th, I was walking at 28 minutes per mile, so in 4 weeks, the speed increased 13.75% or a little over 3% a week!  That's pretty good considering that my walk schedule is far from consistent.
Four weeks ago, I wanted to follow the schedule here:From 0 to 30 in 10 Weeks.  That would have a person running 30 minutes per day in 10 weeks.  But I can't make it through that time without limping and feeling that tiny pain in the chest I feel when my heart starts it's stress reaction (which thanks to my thorough hear exam this year I know is safe- just time to slow down).  While I didn't want to run, I definitely thought that I could brisk-walk the entire time starting out-about 5 minutes in, realized that wasn't going to happen, so slowed to a moderate walk for 5 minutes, then a slow walk for 5 minutes, then repeated the cycle.  By the time I got home, realized that I could follow the 0 to 30 schedule by substituting brisk walking for running, doing moderate walking as much as possible, the slow walking when needed.  Will keep you posted on that plan.

What does the photo have o do with this?  Nothing- but I like posting with photos- don't always take my camera with me, and have thousands of pictures on my hard drive.  This was one of my early patio garden back in August 2010.  When I look at all the plants I have now, it's amazing how much my garden has grown in less than 3 years!  Which may be how this ties into the post- we started out small with a patio garden- now the patio is full and have a 3 by 10 community garden plot too!  Maybe 3 years from now, I'll be amazed at how far I've come in my exercise!  Here's hoping!  

No comments:

Great-Grandma Weber's Summer German Potato Salad

 This was a staple at our family's summer outings for as long as I can remember.  My youngest sister asked me for the recipe so I though...