Monday, May 13, 2013

New Approach to Food: Vegan Before 6

A couple of weeks ago, I decided to take a long weekend before my birthday.  One of the shows I like to catch on weekdays when I am home is Dr. Oz.  This time, Mark Bittman was on and he was promoting his new book Vegan Before 6.  I thought that this was a super-cool approach/  The time that I lost weight and had low cholesterol was when I was trying vegan.  But never eating meat, cheese, eggs, and cream ever again was just too unrealistic for me- just adore good food too much.  So this approach seemed really cool.  To date, I have not really implemented this too much.  Doing the best I can to be be vegan before 6 and eating as usual after 6.  Keeping up with Weight Watchers, so I have some way to monitor the nutritional values of the approach.  Made some new discoveries.  Discovered that almond milk is only 30 calories compared to 150 calories for whole milk- coffee is just not that enjoyable.  Some of my 'vegan' choices are a little un-vegan- like getting chili and a side salad at Wendy's- but that is a very good choice (6 points)- even if it is not that vegan.  On the other hand, the veggie burger at Johnny Rockets is 11 points which is not huge- but a lot more than I expected.  Running late today- there will be a lot more later.  Sort of easing into this- will report in Wednesday on whether I have lost any weight on this approach yet.

Tommorrow, I will talk about my attempts to make a vegan ranch dressing!

No comments:

Great-Grandma Weber's Summer German Potato Salad

 This was a staple at our family's summer outings for as long as I can remember.  My youngest sister asked me for the recipe so I though...