Saturday, February 4, 2012

The Miracle of Walking

I'm getting older.
Have a sedentary job.
Get lots of swelling in my legs and feet.
Have pain that probably is fibromyalgia (at least it fits the symptoms).
And for months- probably years- all that has gotten a lot worse to the point that I feel that it is mandatory to keep my feet raised at night when I get home- then fall asleep- then do not get anything done after work- etc. etc. etc.
I've been telling myself that exercise is exercise and that I can get enough by doing housework.
Not true.

Yesterday I decided that no matter what happened, I would get out for my morning walk- that I would walk as fast as I could- and that I would go only as far as I could without a lot of pain.  I made it all around what I call my big block- down Shadow Lane to Springdale Place to Riverhills Drive to Sunnyside Road.  It took all of twenty minutes- no big deal.

So what happened?
No swelling all day.
No pain unless you touched the muscles directly ALL DAY.
Worked the same hours as usual.
Just as sedentary.
Came home from work AWAKE- no pain- and not needing to lie down!
Hooray!!!!!

So today and everyday- I'm walking my big block first thing in the morning.
Then going for my short excursion going down St. Augustine to Glen Arven and back- and eventually get back to my 3 mile hike following Riverhills all the way around back to Brentwood then to Glen Arven and back.

So enough writing and starting my walk.  Enjoy your day- get some fresh air and a little exercise!

Love,
Mary Rose

No comments:

Great-Grandma Weber's Summer German Potato Salad

 This was a staple at our family's summer outings for as long as I can remember.  My youngest sister asked me for the recipe so I though...