Thursday, August 14, 2014

POMP: Thinking of growing fennel for pollen

 This week, I was a little bit lazy in the garden, so I moved my crates in front of the tiered wooden garden and got this beautiful picture with my pineapple sage poking out from my scented geranium and rosemary.  Rosemary looks very happy.









Still haven't planted my nursery yet.  Jalapeno is sending out some flowers.  Parsley has been cut back to almost nothing- but is alive and sending out new shoots.
 One the shows that I am absolutely obsessive over is Game Of Thrones.  At the beginning, watching it on TV was one of the sacrifices I made for my son Rob- too much blood and gore.  But then he got the DVDs and I learned the story and became a fan.  Then read the books and became a little obsessed.  Was watching one of Emergency Awesome's videos to catch up, and saw this link for the cookbook on Amazon. From the reviews, I learned that the cooks for this book are at the Inn at the crossroads.  They have lots of articles that open your culinary horizons.  The first recipe I saw had fennel pollen as an ingredient.  Here is how to harvest it: Harvesting Fennel Pollen  So if you can harvest it, shoukl I grow it on the porch or the garden?  Growing Fennel in Zone 9  From investigation, I learned that it can be fairly invasive, can be grown in pots- and if we want an ingredient fresh- then we need to have it on the porch- so I filled a pot with regular potting soil, took some fennel seeds from my spice boxes- and my next experiment will be seeing how fennel grows from seeds found in my spice box!  The pot is now in my nursery- if it sprouts, I'll post pictures next week.  In the meantime, guess I'll order some fennel powder from Amazon!

See you tomorrow.  Have pictures for 7-layer dip that I am bringing to a pot luck today- if it is successful, I'll share it with you tomorrow!

No comments:

Great-Grandma Weber's Summer German Potato Salad

 This was a staple at our family's summer outings for as long as I can remember.  My youngest sister asked me for the recipe so I though...