Friday, August 22, 2014

WOTS: Sandhill Cranes Visiting FMHI


This is a real window on the season for Florida late summer.  When the rainy season sets in (late summer and fall), you can often see egrets snacking on the bugs and seeds that have been brought to the surface.  They are very comfortable in our urban environment.  But Florida Sandhill Cranes are an entirely different story- don't think that I have ever seen one here.  And if I  have, they weren't wandering around on the sidewalk outside the building.  They hung around for a couple of days after the recent rainy days- and I hope they went on to better pastures.
If you zero in on H until you see USF Bunyon Drive, this bird is in front of the center building on the North side of the drive.
This is Florida Fish and Wildlife on why it was not good for the cranes to be here.  Too much glass, too many cars parked, too much traffic.

No comments:

Great-Grandma Weber's Summer German Potato Salad

 This was a staple at our family's summer outings for as long as I can remember.  My youngest sister asked me for the recipe so I though...