Friday, August 8, 2014

WOTS: Remy's Ratatoille and Sunflowers


Remi's Ratatoille or Confit Byaldi
What's on the stove?  This lovely concoction of fabulous summer vegetables.  Got some lovely lady finger eggplant, purple bell peppers, and Roma tomatoes from A Simpler Place in Time.  This was a lot of fun- and a lot of chopping and slicing but went really fast because the fun factor was just amazing.  I started by roasting green and purple peppers in a 450 degree oven for 15 minutes while I chopped up a medium onion, three tomatoes, and a teaspoon of garlic.  Fried these in my cast iron pan with a little olive oil, parsley, thyme and a bay leaf.  By the time they were chopped and cooked down, the peppers were cool enough to remove their skins.  Into the sauce with the peppers!  Then the fun begins- slicing the zucchini, Roma tomatoes, eggplant, and yellow squash into 1/16 inch slices.  Then I simply poked each slice into the sauce and overlapped them so that about 1/4 inch of each of the veggies is visible.  Then drizzle with some herb infused olive oil and out into a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes. I baked some chicken along with mine and served it with a crusty french bread.  Especially loved the flavor of the vinaigrette sprinkled over the top just before serving.  Delight in a bite!


Thought I'd give you a Window on the Seasons too!  August wouldn't be August without sunflowers!  Just sunflowers, a variety of mums, and some airy purple things from Publix, in my red pitcher and sitting among canning jars in my window. Must be the canning my Mom did in my childhood, but come August, I love to pile assorted canning jars together for my window.  Country bling!

Have a great weekend everyone!  See you on Monday with more of my Frank Liebler (2nd great grandfather) story.  Thinking that TOGA (Tales of our Great Ancestors) is better than SOFA (Stories of Our Family's Ancestors).  Even if they weren't great in the historical sense (although some truly were impressive people), they are all my great-grandparents- so they are great in that sense.  Until then!

No comments:

Great-Grandma Weber's Summer German Potato Salad

 This was a staple at our family's summer outings for as long as I can remember.  My youngest sister asked me for the recipe so I though...