Monday, November 21, 2011

What can you do with eggplant and feta?



The two things that I was most anxious to use out of all the products I bought at Cheyenne's yesterday was the fairy tale eggplant and the fresh feta cheese.  It dawned on me that these were compatible ingredients so did a search on eggplant and feta recipes.  The most interesting one to me was an eggplant and feta cheese dip- we had some tortilla chips left and needed a flexible meal today.  Then I decided to see if Pioneer woman had a similar recipe- and she did - Baba Ghanoush- but without feta cheese.  So this recipe is like both of these but distinctly my own.

Decided to try my own step-by-step pictorial recipe.  Here it goes:
Start with these darling little babies:
Collect these other ingredients: green onions, bell pepper, flat leaf parsley, basil, feta cheese, garlic, lemon, salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Pierce the eggplant all over with a fork- otherwise they will explode and that will be a mess!  Lay them out on a cookie sheet, place the pan about 6 inches below the broiler, and broil the eggplant until charred and the eggplant is soft.  You need to check them every 5 minutes and turn them over several times with a pair of tongs.  Recipes recommended getting them very charred but I gave up early because these little babies got very soft long before the outside was that black.  Mine looked like this:
Of course, they started out with black ones, so mine might be just as charred.  Cut the eggplants open and scrape all the insides out into a bowl.  Add 2 tbsp lemon juice and 1/4 cup of olive oil.  It should look like this:
Now add 1/2 cup of feta cheese
1/4 cup of green onion
1/4 of a large bell pepper- I liked the yellow one.
1 tablespoon of chopped parsley

and 2 tablespoons of chopped basil.


Mix this up all together.


This made enough to put into two custard cups.
Rob and I enjoyed this with tortilla chips.
Imagine a greek salad dressing that was spreadable and creamy- that's the flavor of this dip.  Might be nice with some black olives added- Rob had his with a half jalapeno pepper.

So that is what I did with fresh feta and fairy tale eggplant.  Good experiment.  Will do it again sometime- especially if Rob is not eating with me- he ate it but thought it was a little strange- which is OK because eggplant is a new experience in our home and this is a girlie recipe anyway.

No comments:

Great-Grandma Weber's Summer German Potato Salad

 This was a staple at our family's summer outings for as long as I can remember.  My youngest sister asked me for the recipe so I though...