Sunday, November 20, 2011

Bounty of the Earth

Went to Cheyenne's Country Thangs yesterday.  It's close- about a thirty minute trip and I found a route with a pretty drive.  You don't have to buy a membership but it is very reasonably priced- but if this week is any indication, I might need two at a time!  This is what I brought home. 

I love this place- it is exactly what I was searching for- and more.  Not only is it a source of organic locally raised food, but also a great gardening resource.  They do not grow all of the food themselves- they partner with a several local food growers- but all of the food that they put out was just beautiful.  It was so beautiful that I just had to take a picture of my haul home.

Here are some of my prizes:
My new baby cabbages- also have a tomato plant.  What do you think of a planting container with cabbages and tomatoes?  Think I'll get a pepper plant next week to go with them.

And here are some fairy tale eggplants with some jalapeno peppers, an avocado, and a coconut.  Looked up the fairy tale eggplant and found that these are great patio plants!

Made Rob some guacamole last night.  Have no idea what I was doing but took this little avocado, added one of these huge peppers, some green onion, juice of 1/2 lime, a handful of cilantro fresh from my garden (looks like I might need a new cilantro plant soon- we're harvesting this one a lot), some freshly ground cumin seeds, a little salt and pepper.  Rob thought it was just delicious but a little hot.  Next time need to use 2 avocados!

And in MY garden- we have a new birth- looks like the third sister is coming forth!
Here is the planter today:




And here is the closeup of my new little one:
For good measure, we gathered up all the recycling:

And brought it to the USF recycling center:
Have a great day- enjoy your portion of the earth wherever that might be!

No comments:

Great-Grandma Weber's Summer German Potato Salad

 This was a staple at our family's summer outings for as long as I can remember.  My youngest sister asked me for the recipe so I though...