Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Decorating with Nature

Every year, we close off the front hallway and create a Halloween scene.  It is VERY scary.  This year, I did exactly the same thing with the same decorations and it was not scary at all.  My son pointed out that everything in the scene was friendly and had happy smiles.  What is the difference?  We did not have a Jack-o-lantern- we bought our pumpkin too early, it rotted out, and I just did not feel like getting another.  This has really hit home on how much every season is enhanced when we bring nature into the home.

When I was twelve, we visited Liebler Farms in Glastonbury during the Christmas season.  This was run by my uncles and grandfather. I'll always remember it.  Ever since that visit, I've always wanted a Christmas store.  I used to think of that store in terms of the decorations I could buy to stick in it, but today I'm realizing that the real value of the Liebler Farms Christmas store was in all the natural materials- because it wasn't just a Christmas store, it was a Christmas tree store too- and they also ran a Christmas decoration business.  I remember my uncle showing me how to make Christmas wreaths and garlands- they never used a wire form- they used the very simple things- living material, cotton or velvet ribbon, florist wire, and wooden picks.  He lovingly wrapped the wire around each piece- building a vision with each inch of wire unwrapped and incorporated.  I was surprised that when my uncle Frank died, the thing that he was remembered for the most was his beautiful Christmas wreaths.  It would be nice to have a legacy like that. 

I decorate a lot for Christmas and even use natural and living materials- but think that this year- we're going to remember the value of bringing the natural into the home.

No comments:

Great-Grandma Weber's Summer German Potato Salad

 This was a staple at our family's summer outings for as long as I can remember.  My youngest sister asked me for the recipe so I though...